Thursday, September 24, 2009

Intro to Izzy's Spanish Garden

Hi:)



My name is Izzy.



Welcome to my blog about gardening here in south-eastern Spain, where the soil is poor, rain water extremely limited and the tap water contains more chlorine than the local swimming pool! Izzy's Spanish Garden is going to tell you about the trials and tribulations of gardening here in Spain.


The sun, however, is almost always present.


Winters are cold but never freezing, (although there could always be an exception one year) and nine months out the year we are subject to the most horrendous winds which is why I do not have a greenhouse. I think only a brick one could withstand the gusts and that kinda defeats the whole object.


Summers are long hot and dry, and usually windless, which is when even a slight breeze would be Heaven-sent.



This is equivalent to USDA zone 10. My old home in Western Scotland was zone 9 (believe it or not), and I've spent the last year or two experimenting and learning what plants plants can grow in both places.



No comments:

Post a Comment